April 15, 2010

Historical Autobiographical Documents - Report Cards from School

For years I wouldn't look at my report cards from early school and high school. They sat stacked, and gathering dust in an old box in the basement. When I fished some of them out prior to my first Adult ADHD Assessment session a couple of weeks ago to provide some third-party verification of academic performance, I was saddened yet forgiving of this fellow's report cards (that poor fellow being me).

They clearly indicate attentional and behavioural inconsistency problems throughout my early years. Here are snippets of teachers' comments from my report cards:

Elementary School
(ages 6 through 10)
  • "Though his project was late, it was most imaginative and thorough, in preparation."
  • "We find him lacking in organizational skills, evidenced by some difficulty in sorting out relevant material in the more advanced logical thinking exercises."
  • "He is a delightful effervescent boy who is above all else, polite."
  • "He enthusiastically joins in group discussions and contributes to class charts. His enthusiasm overrules his composure at times causing him to speak out before being asked."
  • "He has a broad range of knowledge and offers intelligent opinions, but he has a disturbing habit of interrupting other children to state these opinions."
  • "He asks questions when curious or in doubt"
  • "He is easily distracted."
High School
(ages 14 through 18) - some of these teachers' comments were cruel and generalized - not particularly constructive in my opinion:
  • "He was disappointing this year."
  • "I was disappointed by him."
  • "Get your attitude sorted out and refrain from silly behaviour."
  • "What a shame... never gave himself the chance to achieve."
  • "Failed to accept sufficient responsibility."
  • "Your poor mark was the result of inconsistent sometimes unmotivated work."
And the classic, somewhat defeated sounding comment:
  • "You did not care about this course, nor did you put in any kind of effort."
But several read as follows:
  • "88% - Excellent Work!"
  • "It was a pleasure teaching him this semester! Great mark!"
Note: These were from classes that I really enjoyed and found fascinating, like Biology and History.

Have a look at these comments also:

Figure 1: Exam mark of 80%, overall mark of 46% - a result of inconsistent attention.



Figure 2: Inconsistency, erratic (read 'impulsive'), and intense intelligence - so it wasn't that I could get great marks based on intelligence alone.


Figure 3: Apparent social difficulties due to impulsive behaviours (non sequitors, interrupting behaviour) trumps my keen interest, and submission of work that surpasses that of my peers.

Well, it was hard to read these, but they all fit disturbingly well into a diagnosis of ADHD. And now that I have a 'narrative' in the form of the criteria and symptoms of ADHD, I can attribute some consistent meaning to these inconsistent and poor report cards. And because of this I feel much better about these reports cards - maybe I won't have to hide them away anymore. Maybe I can post them on a blog for the world to view!

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this, perhaps you'd like to subscribe to the RSS feed.

Cheers,

Mungo

6 comments:

  1. Amazing. Sounds just like all my report cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I bet if you'd known you were disappointing your teacher, your ADHD would have disappeared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, we should start a web site which will erase the shame of all of our collective ADHD report cards - jeez it was great to share mine finally with the world. I'd always kept them as a shameful secret before learning about ADHD.

    Gina - excellent point! Or perhaps simply if I had gotten my "attitude sorted out", that would have have cleared up the ADHD, or made a decision to "care about the course". Next time, I'll pay attention. :-)

    I find it hard and painful to return to my state of mind when I was in school, getting the feedback I did on my report cards. Except I just remember feeling like I was persistently letting people down - and that I couldn't do ANYTHING about it, despite knowing I was smart. I hated hearing the words "potential" and "capable". I finally just started blanking it all out of my mind, because eventually if you can't do anything about it, you just either give up or disassociate from it all.

    Hopefully kids these days are looked at differently by teachers and that teachers are better able to spot signs of ADHD.

    Thanks Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, we should start a web site which will erase the shame of all of our collective ADHD report cards - jeez it was great to share mine finally with the world. I'd always kept them as a shameful secret before learning about ADHD.

    Gina - excellent point! Or perhaps simply if I had gotten my "attitude sorted out", that would have have cleared up the ADHD, or made a decision to "care about the course". Next time, I'll pay attention. :-)

    I find it hard and painful to return to my state of mind when I was in school, getting the feedback I did on my report cards. Except I just remember feeling like I was persistently letting people down - and that I couldn't do ANYTHING about it, despite knowing I was smart. I hated hearing the words "potential" and "capable". I finally just started blanking it all out of my mind, because eventually if you can't do anything about it, you just either give up or disassociate from it all.

    Hopefully kids these days are looked at differently by teachers and that teachers are better able to spot signs of ADHD.

    Thanks Gina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing. Sounds just like all my report cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very difficult to define the symptoms of ADHD in adults, mainly because there was no proper research conducted on this disorder in adults. The symptoms can be categorized into two types - symptoms of impulsiveness and hyperactivity and inattentiveness symptoms. Other conditions which may be related to the symptoms of this chronic disorder are obsessive compulsive disorder, personality disorder and bipolar disorder.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts