June 27, 2010

Upped my Strattera Dosage, and the Difference Between PWOP and PWIP

Well, I had thought I would be writing a post every single day of my Strattera medication regime - and that was good at the beginning, when things changed quickly, but maybe I need to review my requirements: I need a blog post for every significant milestone or happening during my Strattera dosage regime.

So - I went to my family physician on the 18th day, and this time he appeared as though he had read my file, and immediately asked me how I was doing, what sort of side-effects I was experiencing etc... He suggested a couple of things to do (re: dry mouth and re: the Con, Stip, and Ation - drink water, eat fiber, respectively). Then he upped my dose to 20 mg. I told him I get a little dozy too and he said I should consider taking it at night.

Anyway, 10 minutes later, I was out the door with an updated prescription. Basically, I'll take two 10mg capsules of Strattera daily for 4 weeks, and return for the next titration step ('uppification' of the dose).

When I filled the prescription, the pharmacist and I chatted a little. I came to the conclusion, with all the information I'd obtained from my doctor, the pharmacist, and all the reading I have done that I'm going to take it in the morning instead. That way, I'll be a) very regular in my timing, because my morning schedule is very regimented, as opposed to my evening routine, and b) I can take my SSRI and Strattera all at once, and it will be easier to remember to take it. I use a pill container marked daily for 7 days. It is very useful. I normally forget when I take pills, and that's a BAD thing. A memory aid like a labeled container helps, and costs about $3.00.

The first 2 days that I did this, I was seriously dizzy and woozy for a few hours. I had to nap. I kept having to shake my head to stay awake and get my bearings. Years ago I gave my dog a saucer full of beer, because he kept whining and demanding some (yes, that's logical). Within a minute, he'd sat down, and starting shaking his head back and forth. I now know how he felt. Note: my beagle does not have a drinking problem.

But that's since vanished. Today I felt fine. My body has adjusted. No significant changes in positive effects, other than a sense of productivity and increased sense of chronology - a more expansive sense of timing about my day, and hence a sense of improved memory and planning capabilities.

I am still prone to doing-the-next-thing-regardless-of-priority-itis, for example yesterday I went up onto the roof to caulk the brick in the chimney. Then I noticed the gutters were full of leaves, so I emptied them. Then I cleaned out the garage. Then I used my new blower (it is my birthday today!) and blew out the garage, and the yard, and the driveway. And then I broke down some large cardboard boxes and put them in the recycling bin. Then I organized my tools in the garage. Then I sat and looked at the lawn. Then I sprayed weed killer on my driveway. Then I cleaned up the garage a bit. Then I cleaned out my car. Then I went back inside, having accomplished my initial task which was caulking the roof. But at least it was the weekend, and I didn't have hugely pressing items to do. And at least I was actually productive. But the problem, as you might imagine, is that I was being Productive WithOut Priority (PWOP - I shall register this as a trademark). PWOP is funny, and alluring. PWOP tricks you into thinking you're doing something normal and good. I mean, if I were slashing tires, robbing banks and pickpocketing tourists, that would be bad, but what is wrong with cleaning out the gutters and preparing the recycling? Well, the only thing is the timing. There are higher priority items I could have been doing with my time.

Gotta remember that. PWOP is an easy trap to fall into when you are afflicted with nasty ADHD. I need to remember to be PWIP (Productive WIth Priority), and not PWOP.

On that note, have a wonderfully PWIPpy evening- I shall try to do the same.

Cheers,

Mungo

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this, perhaps you'd like to subscribe to the RSS feed.

You can also follow my tweets at Twitter.com/MungosADHD

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad the side effects passed after a couple days. I take Ritalin, Celexa and Tegretol all at the same time and I had issues with being really tired for about a week, then that eased as my body adjusted. It used to be that I would just stop taking stuff saying it made me tired. Now I understand you have to work through it to find the pot of gold.... ;)
    Glad Strattera is working so well for you. I keep it in mind in case I ever have to do any med changing. I wish my Ritalin was working as well as the Strattera is for you...but I suspect I need an adjustment or two first as I'm on a lower end dose of it. See the doc in two weeks and we will definitely be talking about it.
    How is the SSRI going for you? Is it helping?
    And, I definitely have the PWOP thing happening...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I love that "PWOP" and PWIP"!

    My own biggest symptom, and life problem, is difficulties with prioritizing. As soon as I decide to do something that seems urgent or important, I can hear the internal dialogue saying "you realize you ought to be doing X instead?". And, of course, if I do X, then the voice says "but now actually it's more important to do Y" - and so on and so on ..

    So I either sit doing nothing (and EVERYTHING gets more urgent!!) - or I go for PWOP. At least it shuts-up the self-nagging for a time.

    Yikes! I've been PWOPing my life away!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "PWOP vs. PWIP" - I love this and so totally get it. I began converting to David Allen's GTD some time ago though did not complete the conversion yet due to nasty procrastination. I am completing this week. I have always seen it as a road map to PWIP from PWOP but now I have an official term for it.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts