August 9, 2010

Adult ADHD Meeting (Anonymous) & List of Characteristics of an ADHD Adult

I am attending an Adult ADHD meeting tonight - the first time I'll have done that. I'm nervous - I feel like I'll be attending some sort of AA meeting. Minus the addiction. Should be interesting, not really sure at all what to expect. I hope they have donuts and coffee.

I came across a site while searching the web about Strattera. The site has a list of characteristics of ADHD adults. I thought that if I had come across this list a year ago, I would have said something like "Yeah, well, isn't everyone like this?". That was before I had even the slightest clue that I would end up being diagnosed with Adult ADHD:

"Typical problems of Adults with ADHD - adults may have many, but not necessarily all of these symptoms:

  • Easily irritated
  • Forgetful
  • Become bored easily
  • Difficulty understanding written directions
  • Difficulty remembering verbal directions
  • Have to read things several times to remember what was read
  • Become frustrated easily
  • Become disorganized easily
  • Burdened by too many projects
  • Lose or misplace things
  • Difficulty in school or work
  • Daydream or space out
  • Feel out of control
  • Feel on the verge of losing control
  • Do things too quickly
  • Procrastinate (put things off)
  • Inconsistent effort or productivity
  • Full of ideas
  • Poor follow-through
  • Difficulty with time tests or time lines
  • Feel tired, sleepy, not alert
  • Feel like an underachiever
  • Anticipate failure or inadequate performance
  • Become distracted easily
  • Do not stick with tasks until they are finished
  • Make careless mistakes
  • Talk rapidly
  • Talk or act first, think later
  • Have difficulty concentrating on boring tasks
  • Overactive
  • Get careless and make mistakes when task is demanding
  • Do not listen carefully
  • Feel restless
  • Short attention span
  • Poor short-term memory
  • Over focused
  • Tense
  • Have low self esteem
  • Feel or act "driven"
  • Impatient
  • Seek stimulating experiences
  • Mood swings
  • Do best with deadlines/pressure
  • Jumpy, pace, fidget, drum, hum
  • Stir things up when bored
  • Seem to get in arguments a lot

Good Lord (a substitute for a much more colourful set of profanities): That's an unnervingly accurate portrait of me, except for a couple here and there.

Cheers,

Mungo

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this, perhaps you'd like to subscribe to the RSS feed.

You can also follow my tweets at Twitter.com/MungosADHD

6 comments:

  1. ^LOL!

    I sort of took that list of symptoms as.... wow look at all the varied symptoms, some have this or that, all sorts of different struggles. There are some things that are very much me, like the daydreaming and having problems with verbal instruction....and others that aren't at all me, like feelings of losing control and overactive. It's like ADHD is a different demon for each person who has it, though some things are the same.

    Very interesting post Mungo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I ask the meeting was it an actual 12 step meeting for ADHD?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyyyyy adhd sucks tbh and yeah.I almost spit on my cat in shock because i realized I have literally every single one of those traits listed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get irritable and impulsive , racing thoughts and I jump out of my seat easily and impulsively I am on concerta and need an increase. seeing the doctor on Monday wish and send me luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for being there for me I have conquered my irritability by learning to stay calm and stay in control and I am going to pray to Jehovah God for this to stay and carry on forever I am so happy thankyou love ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an unnervingly accurate portrait of me, period. ��

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts