August 24, 2010

The Trials & Tribulations of Titration

On Friday I went to my family physician for a scheduled appointment - 4 weeks after he titrated me from 20 mg to 30 mg daily of Strattera.

I have been noticing that my impulsivity - both verbal and 'action' stuff - has improved drastically with the medication. I am more calm, taking conversations in and digesting them before speaking. My weight continues to remain down, and I had a thought yesterday that this too was likely due to improved impulse control with my diet - I wait out the temptations and have a glass of water instead of a chocolate bar and have a light meal instead of something heavy.

Side effects are minimal - some dry mouth, but that's about it.

When my doctor entered the exam room he asked me 'How are you doing?' I reviewed my experience with him for a minute or two. He then began to tell me how it is important it is to balance the side effects with the clinical effects of the drug. I sort of watched him speaking, wondering what he was getting at. Then he explained how I will need to take 'drug holidays', and that I 'can't be on this forever'. So then I began to wonder if he thought Strattera was a stimulant medication. I have close to zero faith in my family doctor's knowledge about ADHD.

I told him that I had read 'drug holidays' are no longer recommended to patients who take stimulant medications. And I said either way, it didn't apply to me as Strattera is a non-stimulant medication. I didn't even bring up his 'forever' comment - I was thinking instead about what my new doctor will be like, the one I intend to switch to from this idiot.

He then abruptly told me that I should come back in a month and continue to monitor my progress. Given that he hadn't actually asked me any specific questions about my progress, other than 'How are you doing?', I doubted his judgment, and immediately responded to him.

I brought up that I understood from the Canadian ADHD Practice Guidelines that the dose of Strattera can be brought up to 60 to 80 and generally not more than 100 mg, and that my understanding generally from reading a great deal about Adult ADHD, that it is not at all unreasonable to increase the rate of titration given the relatively low side effects that I am experiencing. He began to talk about how the medication can keep me awake, and I quickly reminded him that Strattera is not classified amongst the psychostimulants, and therefore would generally not have an effect on my sleep. And that indeed Strattera has been demonstrated to be an effective anxiolytic in the case of co-morbid anxiety disorder, as I am led to believe my diagnosis contained. I told him that it was my expectation, and that "respectfully, I have to disagree with your opinion on this", that I was going to get an increase in medication.

He paused, and then casually suggested that we go up to 40 mg of Strattera, and that we meet again in a month. I politely agreed. He wrote the prescription and I said 'thanks' without wishing him a good day.

So my intention is to change doctors - to one who has experience with Adult ADHD, and one who is in Toronto (where I live).

A quick question for readers - I asked my doctor a couple of visits ago if I could see the diagnostic notes that the clinic had delivered to him for my records, and he told me that 'these things are generally confidential'. I didn't pursue it, but it kinda seems that they are my patient records, and that I should be allowed to view them. Plus I would really like to read the diagnosis and notes, because I believe it will help me more fully understand my diagnosis, towards the goal of self-coaching and understanding my treatment more. Am I being unreasonable?

Cheers,

Mungo

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this, perhaps you'd like to subscribe to the RSS feed.

You can also follow my tweets at Twitter.com/MungosADHD

2 comments:

  1. You should have the right to see them. I know here you can schedule a time to go over them. Here you can also make copies of all your records, for a certain price per page. I'd look into that further as indeed, they are your records.

    Have a question for you too. Ever hear of anyone going on 120mg of Strattera? Because that is what I'm on now. I worry one day it's gonna poop out, but I love my Strattera SO much now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how these things work in Canada, but here in the US you absolutely have a right to your medical records, anywhere, anytime, anyplace, they are yours...I hope you pursued that.

    This post made me love you Mungo. I applaud your unwillingness to accept sub-par mental health care. I applaud your committment to research and filling your brain with current and useful info that makes you, as Gina Pera says, an effective "mental health consumer".

    That IS pretty awesome that you're going up on the Strattera in increments...I still sort of can't believe that my prescriber started me on 40mg right off the bat...he just didn't believe me yet that I'm wicked drug sensitive, lol. Wouldn't have made a difference to me since Strattera and I ultimately didn't get along well (helloooo side-effects) but I say it's better to go a little slow and give your brain chemicals time to adjust than get a dose at first that is too high and get yer ass-whooped and life disrupted (trust me...that road suuucks...!).

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts