April 23, 2010

Next Steps in my Adult ADHD Assessment

Well, I now have 2 more confirmed appointments set up for my Adult ADHD assessment at the ADHD clinic. Next week I will be meeting with a clinical psychologist (this was to have happened a couple of weeks ago, if not for the sad loss of the clinic's director). And after that, I will be meeting with a psychiatrist who was trained under the director. He will be interviewing me, and assessing me with the benefit of notes from my initial session.

I am optimistic and excited about these meetings. Hopefully I will get some answers about coping strategies, i.e. what some of the psychometric tests and interviews might have indicated about my strengths and liabilities, and how to implement strategies to manage these. Also, I am hoping that they will prescribe medication that is appropriate and that they will be my single point of contact in the preliminary stages of titration (gradually varying/increasing the dose until a therapeutic effect is reached) and figuring out the right medication (as there are several types - both stimulant and non-stimulant medications).

Something I have rarely touched upon in these posts are my feelings and experiences that have motivated me to pursue an assessment. I will get into that soon, but some of the feelings and memories are too difficult and painful to talk about right now. Suffice it to say (assuming the assessment actually results in a positive diagnosis of ADHD), I have experienced a lot of pain and untold turmoil throughout my life that (as I see it) has been deeply affected by attentional inconsistencies, deficits, working memory impairments and social, interpersonal and psychological troubles related at the core to the attentional and motivational deficits related to ADHD.

But spring has sprung, and you'll see in the picture below of a valley behind our home I took recently that the greening is beginning.



Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this, perhaps you'd like to subscribe to the RSS feed.

Cheers,

Mungo

1 comment:

  1. I just got diagnosed with adult ADHD, and it has helped explain so much of my past. One thing I have definitely felt is relieved since my assessment.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts