April 22, 2010

Super Big Large Gigantic List of ADHD Related Blogs

I have come across a large and varied set of blogs about Adult Attention Deficit Disorder since starting this blog in late March of 2010. I have listed them below in no particular order, with descriptions and links. I hope you find them entertaining, useful, educational, and fun to read. (If you have a link that you'd like to add to this, please use the comment form or e-mail me via the contact page):
  • I Have ADD? - Adult ADD/ADHD Information and Support
    • Jay "...started this blog in November 2007 with the intention of helping others ADD. After a few posts [he] either lost interest or quite possibly forgot about this blog. And that is classic ADD in action." Lots of organization tips, resources and links

  • So I Married an ADDer - News, Advice and Humour for partners of people with ADD.
    • Erin writes her blog as a tribute to her partner Jenn and the blog us written for "...all of you whose better half is blessed with boundless creativity, compassion, and drive." Some topics include decluttering methods, gear, work life and ADHD related events.

  • 18 Channels - My ADHD Coloured Life
    • Katy is a "...a grad student/event planner/paralegal/artist and generally overcommitted person...with ADHD. And honestly...that's not a bad thing." She writes about managing symptoms of ADHD, organization and reflections on academic life.

  • Primarily Inattentive ADHD
    • Tessermom "work[s] part-time in a busy Emergency Department as a Physician Assistant and [is] am also the full time mom of two sons with ADHD. One of [her] sons is Inattentive and one is Hyperactive. [She is] keenly interested in how these two diseases differ and how they are treated."

  • Another Fine Mess - Looking for the punchline in ADHD
    • Mark is a successful freelance cartoonist. For years [he] thought [that he] was lazy, scatter-brained, irresponsible. [...] But it turns out there’s a reason for it. [He writes his blog in order to]...join the ADHD community, to better understand [himself], and to give [himself] another distraction when [he] should be working on [his] cartoons.

  • Addled - Grappling with Adult ADD
    • Jay writes "I have been diagnosed with Adult ADHD (inattentive-type) and I’ve been on medication for it since then. It’s been quite a ride with highs and lows befitting a roller coaster. I definitely have a few stories and lessons-learned to share so far."
      Lots of great content on this blog.

  • Positively Dysfunctional
    • Nick Harris has only a couple of posts, but his latest one is wonderful where he discusses his symptoms of ADHD: "First off, these aren't problems I've been just having lately, or for a while. I've been like this for as long as I can remember; it came out a little differently as a child but it's essentially the same running themes."

  • Living With AD/HD - Reflections on life as an adult with AD/HD. Hopefully something useful too.
    • Mr. Donne has ADHD (combined type), has editorial and journalistic experience in print media (magazines) - and he adds that he also dropped out of a Communication degree. And in the ADHD community, that last piece is chockful of meaning. It is hard to maintain long term commitments... He has some great, short, terse posts about symptoms, medications, coping strategies.

  • A Splintered Mind - Becoming an Author Despite ADHD, Depression & an Annoying Tic Disorder
    • Douglas Cooty is a prolific (and great) writer and photographer, and he shares his stories and experiences because "Maybe somebody out there needs to know they are not alone when dealing with some of these issues. Maybe somebody just wants to feel better about themselves by reading about the mess that is my world. Maybe they find what I have to say entertaining." He also blogs at ADDaboy!

  • ADD ADHD Blog
    • Dr. Handelman is a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist, practicing just outside Toronto, Canada. He writes that he deals "...with a lot of child, adolescent and adult ADHD in my practice. I began to realize that many people needed a lot more education about ADHD [...] and my goal is to provide you with information relevant to ADD and ADHD, and to keep you up to date on the newest developments."

  • ADHD Roller Coaster: "Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?"
    • Gina Perry, author of "Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D., writes "What’s the connection between Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and a roller coaster? When the partners of adults with ADHD join a support group, they frequently use this analogy–because life with their undiagnosed or “in-denial” ADHD partners is sometimes thrilling but too many times it’s whiplash-inducing, from sudden, unexpected drops on the roller coaster of moods and impulses, distractions and forgotten promises." She also blogs at You and Me... And Adult AD/HD

  • Coach Nancy
    • Nancy A. Ratey is internationally recognized as one of the foremost authorities on personal and professional coaching for adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder(AD/HD). As one of the founders of the AD/HD coaching profession, Nancy has been active for the last two decades in developing programs and lecturing on issues related to AD/HD. Nancy has served on the CHADD professional advisory board.
      I have her book The Disorganized Mind, and I highly recommend it.

  • Thoughts on ADHD and Marriage - by Dr. Ned Hallowell and Melissa Orlov
    • Dr. Ned Hallowell and Melissa Orlov blog about marriage when one or both spouses has ADHD. What is it like? What are common themes in marriages with ADHD? What strategies can be used to improve these relationships? How can struggling couples get their marriages back on track so both partners can thrive?
      I have Dr. Hallowell's book 'Driven to Distraction' and also highly recommend this book.

  • My Inattentive Life - A look into the life of a teacher, author, therapist, musician, and father who also suffers from the inattentive subtype of ADHD
    • Josh is a mental health professional and knows very well what it means when I say the words "I suffer from the inattentive subtype of ADHD." He writes to communicate his feelings about it and introduces his blog by saying "I avoid talking about this a lot. It's embarrassing. Because ADHD is the disorder du jour of my generation, there is a lot of baggage and assumption when one admits "hey, btw, I have ADHD." Many people think it's not real." Yip - I can see this coming as my diagnosis comes through in a few weeks.

  • thinkythink - becca colao's hyperthink delight.
    • Becca Colao is an ADHD coach. She writes that "[f]or me, ADHD means thinking too much and too fast. Not many people talk about this experience, so that’s what I do here. [...] I've found there's not information out there about this "hyperthinking" experience of ADHD, and I wanted to humbly begin to change that with my blog. I also coach people around focus, distraction, time, planning, and finding the most effective strategies, systems, and structures to suit the way they are built. Many of my clients have ADHD."

  • ADD'ing it all up - Looking at the world through curiosity colored glasses
    • Mike posts on his blog "with a unique perspective on life, by someone with ADD. I try to keep it down to earth. This blog may also be useful to people without ADD. [...] In addition to being cathartic( helpful to myself by writing this ), I hope this blog is helpful to the readers." This is a very interesting blog - short, concise and pithy commentaries on the struggles, successes and challenges of an ADHD life, written wonderfully.

  • ADD or BS - The ramblings of an ... an ... sorry, what was I talking about? Oh yes, the ramblings of an ADHD skeptic, who's just been "diagnosed" with ADHD.
    • A writer as wonderfully skeptical as I am - he writes "I don't know if I believe the diagnosis. I don't know if I even believe in ADD. I'm pretty sure I have serious doubts about the use of that second "D". And I've not a clue about the wisdom, efficacy, or otherwise of swallowing daily a concoction of amphetamine-based stimulants. But I'm playing along. This blog is just me thinking aloud about the whole deal." A great thinker - you'll be smarter after reading his posts.

  • ADD-Libbing - To ad lib is to be spontaneously witty. To ADD lib is to blog about my clever observations as a lady in her early forties as I navigate life's adventures since my "official" ADD diagnosis 3 years ago..
    • She writes "When I came home from my trip, I borrowed "Driven to Distraction" from the library. Midway through reading the first chapter, I burst into tears. I felt that the book had been written about me." Me too. What a book. And What a disorder.

  • Kick My ADD - Attempting to get my Adult Attention Deficit Disorder under control without prescription medication
    • Self-diagnosed (a contradiction in terms, I'd argue), Renee writes "Here’s the big issue: I don’t want to go to a doctor to get treatment because I don’t want to be on medication. This is my personal belief at the moment, and I’m going to see how well I can manage the symptoms myself before seeing a doctor again, if that becomes necessary." Some great tips on organization, techniques, systems and more to better cope with ADHD symptoms.

  • Jeff's A.D.D. Mind - If A.D.D. Is A Gift... Can I Return It For Something Else?
    • A reader of his wrote "This is not an “A.D.D. Is a Gift” blog by any means. Jeff thinks having A.D.D. sucks, and writes highly analytic and thoughtful posts about how the condition complicates, colors, and otherwise confounds normal life in ways that usually go unnoticed. It’s not a reassuring read, but it’s a brave one, and I concur on a lot of the things he says about the A.D.D. life we both share."

  • Dr. June Kaufman's ADHD Blog Diary
    • Dr. Kaufman is "a practicing clinical psychologist who works with AD(H)D children, adolescents and adults, helping them develop strategies for optimum functioning with their brain style. I have lived my whole life with AD(H)D, and despite all the challenges, I am still married to the same person and have raised two sons, one of whom is ADHD. Completing my doctorate was arduous, to say the least." Inspiring blog, a ton of resources, and very knowledgeable writings.

  • It's ALL Opinion… - Confessions of a Serial Thinker
    • Scott writes about a lot of things, and has a post written "...for all those who have dealt with their own ADHD, or have children dealing with it, to help offer another perspective. Used wisely and harnessed, this can be a truly incredible gift." He's a great writer, drop by and read some more.

  • My ADD / ADHD Blog - Thoughts, Tips, and Information from Tara McGillicuddy, an ADHD Coach and Woman with ADHD
    • Tara is an Senior Certified ADHD Coach. She has been educating and supporting people with ADD through her website Living with ADD for several years. She is also the director of ADDClasses.com.

  • ADHD & the City - Love. Work. Sanity. Or not.
    • Jane writes about relationships, treatment in a blog about "surviving and thriving with ADD. [...] She is active in the adult ADD community, and hopes that one day ADDers will be recognized for their true worth, their creativity, their contributions, and their spark."
Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this, perhaps you'd like to subscribe to the RSS feed.

Cheers,

Mungo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts