May 11, 2010

Adult ADHD Books & Making a Medical Appointment

I have been reading several books over the last week to learn more about ADHD. One suggestion that the psychiatrist made was for me to learn about mindfulness. Though I'm not suffering from depression, the principles in "The Mindful Way through Depression" can easily relate to anxiety disorders and specifically to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. I am finding it to be a very interesting and intelligent read. I highly recommend it.

Being as I am tending towards distraction, I am also jumping back and forth between that book, and "Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood", "Driven from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder", and "The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents" - all of which I highly recommend.

Yesterday afternoon I did a bit of juggling.

The ADHD clinic was to have transcribed my treatment plan and faxed it through to my family physician. I found out on the weekend from a family member that my family physician was soon to embark on a vacation... so I wanted to get the prescription for Strattera before he flew off.

But when I called his office, they said they had not yet received anything from the clinic. So I made an appointment for later this week in the morning, and then phoned the clinic back, explained my predicament. They said they'd get it all faxed through by the time of my appointment. I will follow up later this afternoon to be sure.

I felt good after doing that. I felt like I was taking control of my treatment plan. Doesn't sound like the biggest deal on earth what I did, but when juggling a busy day at work - along with the rest of life - sometimes mundane administrative tasks like this can seem almost unachievable, especially before even embarking on it. Ah, ADHD.

On another bright note, I am finding that chunking my daily schedule out into discrete patterns of time for more mundane items like - take shower - leave for work - create resourcing document - prepare for management meeting - review daily task list - evaluate daily task list before leaving work - leave work - take baby bottle from fridge to warm up etc... has been very useful to me. It is helping me work on developing a time sense. This is a topic I will be covering shortly - something ADHDers with their poor working memory have to work on.

Cheers,

Mungo

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this, perhaps you'd like to subscribe to the RSS feed.

You can also follow my tweets at Twitter.com/MungosADHD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts