May 14, 2010

Another Step: Blood & Cardiac Function Testing Needed Prior to Medication

I'm writing this and other recent posts in order to give you a sense of what is involved in getting a diagnosis of ADHD, and what is involved in getting treatment, and the steps in between. That is, what has and will be involved for me. Not everyone has to go through so much, and some may have a more tedious and lengthy experience. And of course, I am not just talking about pharmaceutical treatments, but changes involving and that result from the very fact of receiving a diagnosis, and everything that follows from that (including medication, but also self-help, counseling, lifestyle changes, implemented tips and techniques etc...).

So this morning I left early so that I could make it to a local hospital where a clinic is located so I could get blood-work and an ECG (electrocardiogram). These were needed prior to being put on Strattera. The results will be shipped to my family physician, and I have an appointment booked with him in a couple of weeks to followup. Hopefully (and I expect) everything will turn out well - that my blood will be found to be the purest and most balanced in every respect that the clinic has ever seen and that it will be written about in medical journals and texts for decades hence, and they will need to ask for a release form (with mentions of plush royalties payable to this author) to feature my ECG printout in a world standard cardiac textbook on what a 'perfect' ECG should resemble.

These tests are necessary because Strattera should be prescribed 'with caution' to people with a preexisting condition of tachycardia, and to people with preexisting impaired hepatic function. Since stopping any alcohol intake since November of last year (seemed a wise thing to do, given that it probably didn't help me focus all that well), and since I don't smoke (never have) or inhale solvents from a plastic bag (honestly, never have) in the alley behind my house, I'm assuming I have a lovely, ripe, healthy, delicious and chortling liver. I believe that my heart beats with the regularity and the robustness of a fine - and extremely expensive - Swiss Chronograph.

Since I could go to any clinic to get this testing done, I did a quick web search yesterday, and called a clinic that appeared (on Google Maps) to be along my route to work. They answered, and said that no appointment was necessary - just to come in with my Provincial Health Card (I live in Ontario, Canada) and with the requisition form that my doctor gave to me.

I arrived at the hospital 10 minutes before the clinic opened. I was the first in line, and the policy there was first in, first out. 15 minutes after entering the clinic, I was pressing the elevator button to return to the parking lot. I made it to work a half hour early, missing only a few milliliters of the red stuff, sporting a cute band-aid on my left arm, and with a hearty (no pun intended) kick in my step.

Feelin' good.

Cheers,

Mungo

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this, perhaps you'd like to subscribe to the RSS feed.

You can also follow my tweets at Twitter.com/MungosADHD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts